Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In sickness and in health...

No, I´m not getting married. This trip has turned into a global search for Orange Juice or an equivalent citrus fruit beverage. Italy does not have orange juice as far as I can tell. Only carbonated orange beverage made by Pellegrina who only makes carbonated beverages. So I´m in Zagreb, Croatia although it really hasn´t been that long it seems like it to me, lets review...

When we last saw our hero he was trying to figure out how to get to the Eiffel Tower. While this was going on tiny micro-organisms called ˝viruses˝ were invading his body and wreaking havoc on his immune system. (Sidenote: whz would zou switch the z and y kezs on the kezboard?) Yes, the cold hit me hard that evening and so the next day I decided to head to Switzerland. I wanted to go to Bern and even reserved a spot on a train to get there. But you see, the thing about Paris is it has like 4 train stations, and hystimine head Jacob neglected to check which station his train was leaving from. So another mad dash on the subway ensued and long story short I missed the train. So now I´m telling the clerk at the station that I want a reservation on the next train to Switzerland... anywhere in Switzerland. This person speaks almost no english (which I don´t fault her for) and so I ended up with a reservation on a train to Lausanne leaving in 4 hours.

Break for change of mood. Switzerland is probably the most beautiful country in the world. It also might be the most expensive and the largest known tourist trap. I stayed overnight in Laussane (in a 4 star hotel, very nice, how much? don´t ask) and then headed to Bern where Einstein did all his work in the famous year of physics 1905. Bern is like a fairy tale land. All of Switzerland seems like something out of Tolkein actually, but Bern especially. It´s also built on a massive hill. Bern was the worst day of my cold. I couldn´t walk more than five minutes without getting winded and needing to sit down. I managed to see Einsteins house and this really cool clock tower down the street but then it was good luck and good night.

I would really have like to stay in Switzerland longer, but everything I would have wanted to do was made impossible by those tiny microbes having their way with my immune system. So I began the great train quest which has taken me two days and over 14 hours of interrailing through Milan, Venice, Ljubjana (Slovenia) and finally Zagreb. I feel better today but I haven´t gotten this thing beat yet so my task this evening will be to find and consume as much OJ as possible. I´m staying two nights in Zagreb to hopefully get well and to chill the heck out. I have a week left tomorrow and I want to relax a little.

So I haven`t really done much except ride on trains (which has been pretty nice actually) and sleep but I got to Croatia which wasn´t definitely going to happen so maybe this cold has done some good. I´m not sure where I'll go next but hopefully somewhere on the coast. I can't spend too many days here because it'll probably take me two or three to get back up to Germany so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the healing vibes you guys have been sending. Keychains are in order!

4 comments:

Joel Backon said...

Hi Jacob,

Sorry you're sick, but your observation is accurate; you seem to get sick at the most inopportune times. You now have a goal in life: to conquer the Paris Metro system. I guess you'll be in Paris on your next trip. Enjoy Croatia; it's very beautiful and very different. Consider that for over 40 years, it sat in the shadow of the Soviet Union, and for over 1000 years, it has been steeped in religious conflict. Perhaps those traditions will help to scare off the microbes that are making you miserable. Keep in touch.

bd said...

Hi Jacob,

I'm a friend of your father's and met you several years ago in your home. I hope you're feeling well.

We travel to Croatia regularly and just got back from a few weeks in Zagreb, the coast, and Istria. Here are some unsolicited favorites:

Stari Grad (old city): the only place to be. If you got off the train at Glavni Koldvor, you walked into it. All of the places I'll tell you about are in the old city.

Bulldog Cafe: Just down the square from Hotel Dubrovnik. The people watching is excellent. The local croatian brew Ozjusko is quite good for a lager and not expensive. Kava s'miljekom (espresso with milk) is inexpensive and a good pick me up.

Next to Bulldog is Millenium Cafe, my son's favorite spot for sladoled (ice cream).

Around the corner to the south west from Bulldog is Charlie's. President Mesic frequents that cafe, much to the consternation of his security detail.

Just north of Bulldog is a square with lots of flower sellers. There is often great live music there and you can pick up a roasted ear of corn cheaply.

Rubelj Grill: Just east of Ban Jelicic (main square) halfway up the steps to the outdoor market. They serve the best cevapcici around. Get it with the white onions. Greasy, but delicious.

Go to the Gornji Grad (upper city) to see a famous old church with a cool tile mosaic. While there, go to Tolkien's Tavern. You'll think you stepped back into middle earth.

The cathedral is nice and you can't miss it on the southeast corner of Ban Jelicic.

Trams are easy to use and tickets are cheaper at the Tisak news stands.

The Musej Mirmara is a great art museum near the National Theater. It is a 10 minute walk north west from Ban Jelicic.

If you can get to the Coast or Istria, both are beautiful, but the high season is starting and things were just starting to get crowded when we left. The dalmation coast around Krk, Cres, and Losinj will be full if germans on holiday.

Anyway, get yourself some cevapcici and Ozjusko and you'll be a happy guy.

Email me at jushannon@gmail.com if you have questions about what to do there.

Have a great trip!

Jon

bd said...

BTW: The Croatians would suggest slivovica for your cold.

It is potent, but you rarely see them sniffing. ;)

bd said...

So... how did the trip go? Did you ever make it to Croatia?