Thursday, July 5, 2007

''Perchance to dream...''

I made my first alteration to the trip today. I decided against going to Gothenberg and went straight to Copenhagen. The weather is really lousy and the only reason I wanted to go to Gothenberg was to walk around in a town that spawned an entire genre of metal...

So I'm in Copenhagen and the weather is terrible and although this hostel is very very nice it's pretty far from the rest of the city. It took almost 20 minutes by bus to get here from the central train station. Needless to say I won't be doing much sightseeing tonight. I'm thinking of trying to find a movie theater and seeing the transformers movie.

Yesterday I spent most of the day in Gamla Stan or the 'old city' part of stockholm. It houses the royal palace and the nobel museum both of which I visited. I watched the changing of the guard at the palace which was rather silly and explored a part of the city that was almost 1000 years old. In the evening I was surprised to find that the Beastie Boys were playing at the amusement park on Djurgarden (one of the islands) and that my admission to the park was free with the Stockholm card (tourist trap) I had purchased that day. So I saw the Beastie Boys in Stockholm Sweden for free (sort of) and they were actually really good. One interesting note: at Tuska, 3 days of metal, there were zero fights or crowd problems. At 1.5 hours of a beastie boys show there were two fights and they had to stop twice until things calmed down. Either Swedes are angrier than Finns or the Beastie Boys attracts a more uncivilized crowd :)

My first experience Interailing went fine. Now that I have to follow the train schedules my trip becomes slightly more complicated and less free with respect to arriving at places. Not a problem it just takes more planning on my part... planning bleh! Anyway, I'm running out of internet time and Denmark is actually more expensive than Sweden (which I thought impossible) so I'll finish up. I'm not sure where I'm going next but I would like to end up in Amsterdam in the next few days. I might make a stop in Hamburg which is on the way. Drop me a note if you have the time. It would be nice to hear from people!

4 comments:

Joel Backon said...

Jacob, it sounds like you are having a great trip, spending lots of money and hearing plenty of music. You've been gone a week and already had a year's worth of education. That's what these trips are all about. You'll return with a new perspective on life and the U.S. I'm not sure why more people don't respond to your posts, but I will encourage those who are close by. If you can get to Hamburg before Amsterdam, do stop there. It's another beautiful port city and your type of place. It's officially called the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg. You know the free part and the Hanseatic League was one of the original trade organizations in Europe. Continue to keep us posted.

Unknown said...

Jacob! it sounds like you are having a good time even though the weather is not so great today. i think adventures are better when they are not totally planned and you find the best surprises that way. i fully expect a visit to they city and to see lots of pictures when you get back. i hope you continue having lots of fun! also, i like living vicariously through your adventures while i am stuck here in the lab, so thanks for that!

peace and happiness said...

Jacob! Im glad to hear you are doing well! Other than the minor set back of the weather everything seems to be well!!! Im so happy for you!! I can't wait until you get home, I hope you are taking lots of pictures. Keep writing when you can! I miss you.

Dibbly said...

Jacob it sounds like the trip is going really well, I'm incredibly jealous of you seeing the Beastie Boys, and moderately jealous of you seeing those crazy metal shows...this blog is sweet. keep up the good work.